turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kck5419
Returning Member

Mailed 2018 taxes 4/01/2020. Do I have to wait for IRS to accept 2018 tax return before I can E-File my 2019 taxes?

I used Turbo Tax to do my 2018 taxes. I was unaware that after October 2019 I could no longer E-File.

I knew that I was getting a refund so I procrastinated filing knowing that there would be no penalty.

Then the Coronovirus Stimulus package was announced. It was reported that they would be using 2018 or 2019 tax returns to determine eligibility for the stimulus payments. 

I Priority Mailed my 2018 taxes. They were received by the IRS  April 2, 2020. 

1)  Do I have to wait 4-6 weeks for the IRS to process my 2018 Tax Return before I can E-File my 2019 taxes?

2)  If I E-file my 2019 taxes now, using the numbers from my 2018 return, would my 2019 taxes be rejected, since they would be looked at before my 2018 returns.

3)  If I have to wait to file 2019 returns, how can I check the progress of the acceptance of my 2018 return?   The IRS.gov "where's my refund" is only for 2019 returns

Thank for Your Help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Mailed 2018 taxes 4/01/2020. Do I have to wait for IRS to accept 2018 tax return before I can E-File my 2019 taxes?

You can go ahead and prepare and e-file 2019.  The IRS is not going to put your 2018 AGI into the system soon enough for you to use it to e-file 2019.   Try using zero for the 2018 AGI when it asks you for it.  If zero will not let you e-file 2019, then your 2019 will have to be mailed.

The only way you would know if the IRS received your 2018 return is if you mailed it using tracking such as UPS or certified mail.  Your 2018 return will not show up on the refund web site.  So, sorry, but it will be a frustrating wait for the IRS to process your 2018 return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
kck5419
Returning Member

I do know the IRS received my 2018 on 4/2/20 because I sent it Priority Mail, which includes 1-3 day delivery and a tracking/confirmation number.

Just to confirm regarding my 2018 tax return:

1) There is no way to know if they processed or accepted my 2018 return?

2) I will only know when the refund is deposited into my account?

As far as Filing my 2019 Taxes:

3) What happens when I use $0 for my AGI ?

4) Do I later have to amend my return to include any refunds or credits and my AGI ?

5) What happens if it is rejected?

The only thing you can know for sure about your 2018 return is that the IRS has it, since you used a mailing service that shows that to you.

You will not be notified that the refund is on its way.  You have to watch your own account.

Sometimes using "zero" for the 2018 AGI will let it be e-filed and accepted.  Since your 2018 return was filed late, the IRS does not have a 2018 AGI in the system for you---so zero can work.

No, you do not have to amend it later to enter the actual 2018 AGI--that is only used for e-filing.

If it still rejects using zero, then you have to print, sign and mail 2019.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies