Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Blancas64
Returning Member

LLC

I am helping my friend file his income taxes - he and his wife created an LLC in 2018 - 50/50 ownership.  They only had about $800 in expenses and no income in 2018.  Can I use the TurboTax Home & Business software to file his taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

LLC

No for one or maybe two reasons.

First, unless they live in a community property state, an LLC with more than one member must file a form 1065 partnership return, using Turbotax Business.  This is a separate program only available to install on PC, it is not available online or for Mac.  The 1065 return will create a K-1 statement for each member that goes on their personal tax return.  The filing deadline for form 1065 is March 15, not April 15, and the late fee is $195 per month per member.

If they live in a community property state, they can file as two disregarded entities--each spouse files a schedule C using the Home & Business or Self-employed online version, one schedule C in the name of each spouse, each listing half the income and half the expenses.

Second, if you have startup costs but no gross income, you don't file this year at all.  The first year the business files is when they have gross income.  The startup costs are either expensed, or amortized over 15 years, depending on the amount and nature of the costs.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies