Re: Live in MA and earned dividend and W-2 in NH

Live in MA and earned dividend and W-2 in NH

Hi,

I asked this same question last year in TurboTax Community and need to double check again since there may be some tax law changes.

I live in Massachusetts and have a large dividend income (1099-DIV) and W-2 from New Hampshire.  Do I still need to file 2nd state return which is NH besides MA?  On the Federal tax return, do I select NO for the question on 'do you work or make money in another state"? 

I called NH revenue department last year and they said since I am not an NH resident I don't need to file nor pay for NH tax.

Please confirm this is accurate and correct.

Thanks!

For that w-2 , did you work on NH?

You must file in any state you either work in or reside in... where the employer is is immaterial

yes I did worked in NH.  I also have another W2 in MA.  so I need to file 2 states?

NH does not have an income tax requirement , so just file MA but all your income from the two states should be listed

Yes all W-2s and 1099 DIV from both states are reported in the income section.  So I should answer 'no' to the question on "did you make money in another state"?

Suggest answering “yes” (because that is the truth) but I suspect when TT figures out the other state is NH, it will say “never mind” and default to MA only