turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last year I claimed my daughter on my tax return. This year my ex is. The problem is IRS sent me a stimulus check for $250 and plan to send more. How do I manage this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Last year I claimed my daughter on my tax return. This year my ex is. The problem is IRS sent me a stimulus check for $250 and plan to send more. How do I manage this?

Go to the Child Tax Credit Update Portal on the IRS web site and unenroll ("opt out") from the advance payments.

The $250 payment that you received is not a stimulus payment. It's an advance payment of the Child Tax Credit on your 2021 tax return.

Hal_Al
Level 15

You ex will get the missed payment(s) when he/she files  his 2021 tax return in 2022.  You will have to pay back any incorrect payments, when you file your 2021 return.  

while you are opting out , the other parent should be opting in.  This is optional.

If the other parent makes too much AGI, maybe you should take the dependent.

I am not even sure how to opt out? What is the amount of the AGI?

I am not sure how to notify them that I am opting out and my ex is opting in. What is the AGI amount?

You really should look at the IRS website where it says "Get Details on the Advance Child Tax Credit" .
All your questions will be addressed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies