turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tim771

land sale

I sold land and paid the county taxes to the buyer who will pay the tax bill the following year.  Can I deduct this amount as sales cost since I won't get a tax bill for it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

land sale

Although this references a house, it also applies to land.

Yes, your share of these taxes can be claimed if you itemize your deductions. Property (real estate) taxes are generally divided between the buyer and seller so each pays taxes for the part of the year they own the home. See Buyers and Sellers below for details.

• Property (real estate) taxes are part of a combination of taxes whose total is taken as a single deduction. The maximum deduction you can take for the combination of 1 and 2 below is $10,000 (or $5,000 if married filing separately).
    1. State and local income tax, OR sales tax.
    2. Property taxes (real estate taxes + personal property taxes)

Buyers

You can claim any property (real estate) tax you were charged in your closing costs. Look for a "real estate tax", "property tax" or “county taxes” charge on your HUD-1 settlement statement.

If you made payments into an escrow account, you can only deduct the amount actually paid by your lender to the taxing authority on your behalf during the year.

Be sure to claim the deduction in the year you (or your lender, on your behalf) made the payment. So if you paid your 2021 property tax on December 14, 2020, claim it on your 2020 return.

Sellers

You can claim property (real estate) tax you already paid for the calendar year, minus any amount allocated to the buyer. It doesn’t matter if you were reimbursed for the buyer’s share at the close of escrow or not—you can only claim your share of the property (real estate) tax for the time you owned the home.

land sale

I SILD THREE LOTS IN 2021

I AM TRYING FRIGURE OUT THE CAPITAL GAIN.

i RECEIVED NO PAPER WORK. HOW DO I FIGURE OUT THE CAPITAAL GAIN

land sale

I DONE HAVE THE PAPER WORK TO FILE TAX

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

land sale

The attorney or real estate agent that handled the sale should have a record of what you sold the land for and your selling costs.  You can also look at the county courthouse recorder of deeds to find the sale information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies