turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Joint account

Hello,

I have a tax related question that is very basic.

Background:

I have a joint account with person B. We are both single (not married) adults. $7000 gets deposited from the government in my name. I claim that $7000 on my taxes each year.

Question: If person B withdraws that $7000 and puts it into another account that is just in their name, do they need to claim that $7000 on their taxes as well?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Joint account

No they do not. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Joint account

Q.  If person B withdraws that $7000 and puts it into another account that is just in their name, do they need to claim that $7000 on their taxes as well?

A. No. A gift is not reportable income to the recipient of the gift. Nor is it deductible by the giver.

But, if you give more than $15,000 to any one person in a year, you are required to file a gift tax return (something separate from your income tax filing ["return"]). 

"Gift Tax" is somewhat of a misnomer.  Even though a gift tax return may be required, very few people ever actually pay federal gift tax. The purpose of the gift tax return is usually only to document a reduction in the allowable estate tax exemption.
See https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Planning-and-Checklists/The-Gift-Tax-Made-Simple/...  

Joint account

Not all government deposits are taxable income. Assuming that this is taxable income, it belongs to the person to whom it is paid, regardless of what happens after.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies