turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It keeps asking for day care persons social security number. She refused to provide this like previous year. I efiled LY but it won't let me TY?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It keeps asking for day care persons social security number. She refused to provide this like previous year. I efiled LY but it won't let me TY?

Provider refusal. If the provider refuses to give you their identifying information, you should report on Form 2441 whatever information you have (such as the name and address). Enter “See Attached Statement” in the columns calling for the information you don't have. Then attach a statement explaining that you requested the information from the care provider, but the provider didn't give you the information. Be sure to write your name and social security number on this statement. The statement will show that you used due diligence in trying to furnish the necessary information

you'll have to paper file.

in the future get their SSN or EIN before you hire them. (w-9 or w-10). you are not using due diligence by not getting it to start 

Due diligence. If the care provider information you give is incorrect or incomplete, your credit may not be allowed. However, if you can show that you used due diligence in trying to supply the information, you can still claim the credit. You can show due diligence by getting and keeping the provider's completed Form W-10 or one of the other sources of information just listed. Care providers can be penalized if they don't provide this information to you or if they provide incorrect information.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Provider refusal. If the provider refuses to give you their identifying information, you should report on Form 2441 whatever information you have (such as the name and address). Enter “See Attached Statement” in the columns calling for the information you don't have. Then attach a statement explaining that you requested the information from the care provider, but the provider didn't give you the information. Be sure to write your name and social security number on this statement. The statement will show that you used due diligence in trying to furnish the necessary information

you'll have to paper file.

in the future get their SSN or EIN before you hire them. (w-9 or w-10). you are not using due diligence by not getting it to start 

Due diligence. If the care provider information you give is incorrect or incomplete, your credit may not be allowed. However, if you can show that you used due diligence in trying to supply the information, you can still claim the credit. You can show due diligence by getting and keeping the provider's completed Form W-10 or one of the other sources of information just listed. Care providers can be penalized if they don't provide this information to you or if they provide incorrect information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies