turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It has been 90+ days since my return was accepted by the IRS, additionally, I have paid my fee to TurboTax for the service of filing on my behalf...so where’s my return?

Where’s my refund? I paid TurboTax $100 for nothing??!!

I filed on March 24th and my return was accepted on March 27th....today’s the 4th of July! Sooo where’s my refund??!!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

It has been 90+ days since my return was accepted by the IRS, additionally, I have paid my fee to TurboTax for the service of filing on my behalf...so where’s my return?

We can tell you how to check on your Federal refund, and how to speak to the IRS to find out a reason for a delay.  I'll also provide how to speak to the IRS Tapayer Advocate Service, if necessary.  

First, if you efiled, double-check that your return was indeed accepted for processing.  If you used Online TurboTax, you can sign into your Online Account and check the efile status at the Tax Home.

If the Tax Home shows your efiled return was accepted, you can use the "Where's My Refund" tool at the IRS website below to check on the status of your Federal refund.  
https://www.irs.gov/Refunds

NOTE:  When using that tool, be sure to enter the correct SSN and filing status.  Use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund.  The amount to use is on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a.

If the IRS tool says it is still being processed, here's how to reach the IRS for info on the delay, but it may not be easy.  Part of it is luck.  Due to the Coronavirus, some of the IRS call centers have been closed, some are operating with reduced personnel, and some are gradually opening back up.  Some users have reported that they have finally reached someone.   Here is the normal method to reach an IRS live agent when they are operating smoothly, and I'll also tell you how to reach the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service.

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you have problems reaching the IRS or don't get good info, you can try contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.   They are still taking phone calls in most states.  They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.  If the Taxpayer Advocate office can't/won't help, ask them to transfer you to an IRS agent.  A couple of users reported that was a backdoor way to reach an IRS agent, at least anecdotally for them.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies