Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is TurboTax doing everything possible to straighten the stimulus payment mess out so that I will get it soon?

I paid for my 2019 taxes out of my turbotax return. I received the first stimulus and I qualify for the second. IRS says 'Status not available'
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is TurboTax doing everything possible to straighten the stimulus payment mess out so that I will get it soon?

There is nothing TurboTax can do, this is the IRS’s mistake.

When you used refund transfer, your refund was sent to SBTPG bank to open a temporary account in your name, accept the refund, subtract the fees, transfer the rest of the money to your regular account, and then close the temporary account.  The IRS knows which taxpayers used refund transfer because they know what banks offer the service, and the IRS is not supposed to send direct deposits to the refund transfer bank.  The IRS had a website open through October where you could update the IRS with your correct banking information. If you did not do this, then the only information the IRS has for you is for the closed temporary account at SBTPG.  When this happens they are supposed to mail you a check or a debit card. 

In some cases, the IRS has mistakenly issued direct deposits to SBTPG. SBTPG is not allowed to accept the deposits in your name due to banking security laws. Therefore, the direct deposit will bounce.

In either case, if you used refund transfer and did not update your banking information with the IRS, the IRS is supposed to mail you a check or a debit card. If the check or debit card is not mailed by January 15, you will have to claim the extra credit on your tax return instead.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

So you used the Refund Processing Service?  Why?  It was an extra $40.

See this.....1/5/2021 SBTPG Stimulus Check Info

https://www.sbtpg.com/coronavirus-stimulus-payment-info/

There is nothing TurboTax can do, this is the IRS’s mistake.

When you used refund transfer, your refund was sent to SBTPG bank to open a temporary account in your name, accept the refund, subtract the fees, transfer the rest of the money to your regular account, and then close the temporary account.  The IRS knows which taxpayers used refund transfer because they know what banks offer the service, and the IRS is not supposed to send direct deposits to the refund transfer bank.  The IRS had a website open through October where you could update the IRS with your correct banking information. If you did not do this, then the only information the IRS has for you is for the closed temporary account at SBTPG.  When this happens they are supposed to mail you a check or a debit card. 

In some cases, the IRS has mistakenly issued direct deposits to SBTPG. SBTPG is not allowed to accept the deposits in your name due to banking security laws. Therefore, the direct deposit will bounce.

In either case, if you used refund transfer and did not update your banking information with the IRS, the IRS is supposed to mail you a check or a debit card. If the check or debit card is not mailed by January 15, you will have to claim the extra credit on your tax return instead.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies