Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

weldon.schultz
Returning Member

Is TurboTax calculating incorrectly? It keeps telling me I owe $774.00 in School District Taxes but I paid $720.90 throughout the year.

Are unemployment wages figured in to that? 1099-NEC, W2 and 1099-G come to a total of $62,568.36. The school district rate is .0125. That comes out to $782, last year I paid $8 to the district at tax time. That would leave $774, but I paid $720.90. That all came out of each paycheck. I'm confused.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Is TurboTax calculating incorrectly? It keeps telling me I owe $774.00 in School District Taxes but I paid $720.90 throughout the year.

You would need to pay the additional tax on the unemployment you received. 

Since the tax was only withheld on your wages, you now owe that portion of income attributed to unemployment. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
weldon.schultz
Returning Member

I understand the part about owing on unemployment, what I don't understand is why does it show I owe $774.00 when I paid the majority of that through my regular job where taxes are withheld? 

To check your W-2 to see if School District Tax was withheld through your regular job:

Box 18 (local Wages)

Box 19 (local income tax)  - is it zero?

Box 20 (locality name)

@weldon.schultz

weldon.schultz
Returning Member

It is not zero. It shows $720.90 for school taxes and it shows the other local taxes withheld also. @ReneeM7122 

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Normally, city and school taxes are withheld from your W2 at the taxing rate dictated by your city or school district.  Now if your school district tax is determined by total income or Adjusted Gross income from your tax return and not just earned income, then you could owe additional tax.  You could try deleting all your school district withholding from your W2 and see if the amount changes.  If it doesn't change, then TurboTax is not reducing your school tax by the amount from your W2.  Then I would review the coding on the W2 input and in your state tax return to insure the same school district is syncing up in TurboTax.  If it increases by the amount of the withholding, you know you owe school tax on your total income, not just your W2 income.

cghil

I'm having the same problem. I enter school tax withheld in the federal W2, and it doesn't  show up in the school tax return. There doesn't seem to be anyway I can correct this and enter the withholding manually. I tried so many times to contact you, Turbo tax.  I'm thinking about filing the state/school as paper so I can fix the withholding. But this is not what I paid for. Turbo tax, hello, where are you? (i just had to change Turbotax to Turbo tax to even submit this.

weldon.schultz
Returning Member

I was able to fix my problem with the help if a turbotax online agent. I was entering the School District code exactly as it was printed in the W2 (0302-Hillsdale SD) and when I changed it to simply 0302 it calculated correctly.

cghil

That was the solution. I had to remove everything in the school tax withhold description except the 4 digit number and it worked. A great guy named John from Turbo tax did eventually call me and helped. Thanks weldon for you help as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies