turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxscam

Is this a scam?

My friend received a message that looks like a legitimate Turbo Tax message with your logo and everything. It states that Turbo Tax was being asked to refund customers  their tax prep fees for the "free file" program that ended up charging customers. Apparently you can click to the Turbo Tax Compensation Claim site, but I typed in the stated URL: signup.turbotaxclaims.com. I got a message stating the URL did not exist, so I told my friend not to click on it until I checked with you. Is this a scam?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Is this a scam?

If you do an internet search you will find multiple websites accusing both TurboTax and H&R Block of charging customers for the use of their software when the customer was eligible for free filing.

It is doubtful that the email your friend received was directly from TurboTax.  It most likely was a fishing expedition by some law firm and may well be a scam.

There is a Non-Secure website out there with an address similar to what you posted.  I will not post that website on a public forum.  But a review of the site seems to be fishy since they have phone numbers listed to call but only show numbers like these - (646) ***-**** and (800) ***-****

Is this a scam?

If your friend thinks he/she was incorrectly charged when they qualified for using a free product, he/she should phone TurboTax Support to see if they will offer any remedy.  I don't know what they will say, since it likely depends on all the circumstances.

If they indeed used a paid product, then that entitles him/her to phone support privilege.

Hours normally 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) M-F, but are also open today and tomorrow (Sunday) this weekend only.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies