turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

iOne
Level 4

Is there 1099-NEC support in TT business edition desktop?

How can I file a 1099-NEC in TT business edition, Windows Desktop?  Searching for the form does nothing.  And the ability to add a form in forms mode disappeared years ago.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

There is no support for Form 1099-NEC entry in TurboTax Business.

You would enter the form the same as you would for ordinary (business) income on your return.

Do you need to prepare the 1099NEC?  

You can  prepare  W2s and 1099s by starting a new return, go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN

On the Work on a Tax Return screen or Welcome to TurboTax screen , scroll down to the bottom and click the blue Prepare W-2/1099 button.

On the next screen, Choose where to prepare your forms, click the Online or Desktop option.  You can only prepare 1099-Int & Div using the Online option.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900412-how-do-i-create-w-2-and-1099-forms-in-turbotax-business

iOne
Level 4

I have received a paper 1099-NEC and wish to "attach" it to my Federal return yet still e-File.

The relevant NEC income is already accounted for (it was some rental assistance for a tenant, so just got counted as rent).

------------

As a rental property owner, I also prepare and e-File 1099-NEC's for contractors and tradespeople who work on the property, per recent IRS rules.  For those I use the online system you mention.

Don't worry about that.   If the IRS wants to see it they will mail you a letter.   But whose ssn or EIN is on the 1099NEC?   The IRS might be expecting to see it on your personal return.   

iOne
Level 4

> But whose ssn or EIN is on the 1099NEC? 

The 1099-NEC in question is issued to the Trust.  I'm aware the IRS likely already received the form electronically from the payor.  Still, a place to put it into TurboTax would feel better.

@iOne wrote:

The 1099-NEC in question is issued to the Trust. 

That is rather strange, or at least not typical. Did the trust perform services for the issuer?

iOne
Level 4

That is rather strange, or at least not typical. Did the trust perform services for the issuer?

The trust operates a rental.

The renter got into trouble paying rent.

The renter received a rent subsidy, so a non-profit issued a rent payment directly to the Trust, and reported the payment on 1099-NEC

--

It's a rent control jurisdiction, so super complex, but the above is the essence.  I just booked the payment as regular rent, crediting the renter, and paying normal taxes on it.

Got it.

They issued a 1099-NEC instead of a 1099-MISC but that should be a non-issue, regardless, in this context.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies