turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GSSeattle

Is is possible to decide to pay the taxes on a qualified withdrawal from a 529 plan to get the AOTC?

I have paid all my children's educational expenses this year with their 529 plans.   Is it possible for me to pay the taxes on $4000 or more of my qualified withdrawals from the 529 plan so that I can take the American Opportunity Tax Credit?  If I did this I would not be double dipping and would seem like I could take the credit.  My tax rate is low.  Is this allowed?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Is is possible to decide to pay the taxes on a qualified withdrawal from a 529 plan to get the AOTC?

Yes, this is allowed (call it a loophole, if you like). You can choose to designate expenses towards credits/deductions (there is a question about this in the TurboTax interview), thereby making the 529 distribution taxable if there are not sufficient additional education expenses to offset it.

The taxable 529 distributions should be reported on your children's tax returns.

GSSeattle

Thank you very much.  I found the question on the interview after some digging.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies