turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is a bonus earned and received in one state, possibly taxable in a new state if you move a month after receiving the bonus and live in both states in the same year?

I live in Washington state with no income tax and I will receive a bonus in May while living in WA for work performed in WA. Lets say it is a sizeable bonus and that no state income tax is withheld. If I move to NY a few months later in August, will I owe some amount of NY state income tax on that money at the end of the year or is it not taxed because it was received in Seattle for work in Seattle?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Is a bonus earned and received in one state, possibly taxable in a new state if you move a month after receiving the bonus and live in both states in the same year?

No, if you lived in 2 states in 2017, but you only earned income in the state that you were living in at the time you earned it, the income earned is tax at the rate of the state where you were living at that time. 

The fact that you move does not affect income already earned. 

Answer the interview questions in TurboTax carefully and assign the income to the proper state. 

Normally we emphasize the importance of the order in which you do your state tax returns, but since WA has no state filing requirement, you will only file as a part-year resident of NY.

When you do your NY state return, the software will prompt you to assign part of your income to another state. 

Just to be clear, after I move to NY I will still work for the same company and earn income in NY in the same year.

Based on this answer it sounds like I am better off asking for the bonus to be paid before I move while still living in Seattle so I don't have to pay NY income tax on it. Is this correct?
S-H

I’m in a similar circumstance, moving from NH (no tax) to CO.    Bonus paid on 6/1 had CO state tax withheld.  The bonus was for work performed prior in NH. I took residency in CO on 6/9.   I’m assuming tax was incorrectly withheld for CO state on that bonus, and I should receive the refund when filing my CO state tax?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree.  since work performed in NH no w/h for Co.   you'll have to have your employer issue a w-2c 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies