turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS disputes my Recovery rebate

I double checked the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet and it implies I should receive the 1,200 credit BUT IRS send letter stating I do not and charging be 1,200 plus fines
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The IRS cross checks every Form 1040 with an amount on line 30 for the recovery rebate credit.   If the IRS thinks you already got the EIP payment, you cannot get it again as a tax refund.   If you claimed a recovery rebate credit for a payment already sent to you, they recalculated your refund.

Check your IRS account and see if the IRS sent your EIP payment.   If they did, and you really did not receive it then they can trace it.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

If you were issued a payment and have not received it, see How do I request a payment trace to track my first or second Economic Impact Payments? 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The first stimulus payment, EIP1, was $1,200 for each taxpayer plus $500 for each eligible dependent and issued in early 2020.  The second stimulus payment, EIP2, was $600 for each taxpayer plus $600 for each eligible dependent and issued 12/2020 thru 02/2021.

If you received both payments you should have indicated that on your 2020 federal tax return and No credit would have been entered on Form 1040 Line 30.

If you did Not receive one or both of these payments you should have indicated that on your 2020 federal tax return and the Recovery Rebate Credit would have been entered on the Form 1040 Line 30.

The IRS notice you received means the IRS has records showing that the IRS sent you the stimulus payment and has removed the Credit from your tax return.

Look at your tax account on the IRS website for the stimulus payments sent to you by the IRS - https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

If you never received the stimulus payment then you need to start a trace on the payment with the IRS.  Go to this IRS website for how to start a trace - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-first-economic-impact-payment-topic-f-p...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies