turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

I keep being told to file a 2019 tax return with an attached 8379 injured spouse form but nobody tells me how to file them according to my situation. This is what I'm dealing with.

My husband and I did not have enough earnings to require us to file a 2019 tax return. Because of this we would not be expecting a refund.

If I filed a tax return anyway, and attached a 8397, how would I fill out the 8397 when I have no numbers to enter and there is no place to enter the withheld stimulus payment?

This is very confusing and the IRS is no help.

Drie
Level 4

@20207 Did you receive your stimulus that was originally taken due to the offset or your regular income tax. I am confused 🤷🏽‍♀️ 

I am happy to announce that I did talk to the IRS today for 3 hours and they are in the process of correcting stimulus payments that were taken from injured spouses. The guy happened to be one of the ones working on them and he said he’s been working on 150 a day so that is reassurance that if you filed an injured spouse form with your 2018 or 2019 tax return then you will get your portion of the stimulus. There is not a specific time frame but they are working on them. Also, everyone will be back in the office starting on Monday. So that should speed things up some too. Hope this helps clarify things for y’all. I’m happy to give this information because it has been a struggle not getting the stimulus when I really needed it. I’m a nurse and my hours were cut but I’m lucky to still be working at all. God bless you guys. Again I hope this helps. 😀

I just posted a response I think you will be happy with so ho check it out. Good information!

I’m sorry I  meant to say go check it out. Not ho. Lol. Sorry 

aww sorry I wanted to share a link but its not allowed.. as of May 18 IRS is aware and hopefully release stimulus checks that was wrongly held from the injured spouse to be release in the next 4 to 6 weeks but for some it will be months.

@20207  Did you get any kind of notice before you got your portion of the stimulus??? Was it mailed or direct deposit??

Anyone here receive their stimulus check yet?

@InjuredSpouseN3kids  not me. and i call the irs every week and i still get the same answer. to sum it up..they are aware of the issue and if its not resolved... filed the stimulus payment on my next years taxes in order to get the money back. :(

@mzzwillis  Urghh this is frustrating and pretty disappointing for us injured spouses..

i am still waiting too.. 😩

Lowzwife
Returning Member

Did i file 8379 

@Lowzwife i sure did. when i asked the irs about my injured spouse form they told me that my form was on file. im on hold with the irs now doing my weekly call. ill let you know if they say anything different.

spoke to the irs and no new updates.  the lady told me that she see's my injured spouse form on file but its going to take a while for them to get my portion of the money back from child support. :( i dont think im ever going to file married again. i know that is not the right thing to do..but it also wasnt right for my portion and my childrens portion of the stimulus to be sent to another child that i did not birthed. im so over this!!!

Have not received it yet but I'm guessing we really have to be patient, thank you for your response.

Aliz1
Returning Member

That is an excellent way to go.  l had done that by checking on my tax deductions in June and adjusting so l owe about $ 200 or get about $200.  Ask your tax preparer to help you.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies