Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

@BoogieLAtoLV file an injured spouse form for your taxes

Can I filed thru TurboTax, since I e- filed my return in the stimulus portal?

@user061444109  it should offer you an amended option. If you amend it you will be able to complete the injured spouse form. 

How do I fill out the injured spouse form for withheld stimulus payment only. My husband and I did not earn enough to be required to file taxes. He owes back child support but I do not, and they withheld both our stimulus payments.

You cannot complete a  withheld stimulus payment only 8879 form ... you will need to file a joint return with an attached 8879 so the situation can be sorted out ... see this from the IRS site :

Past-due child support was deducted from the payment

The Economic Impact Payment is offset only by past-due child support. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send the taxpayer a notice if an offset occurs.

For taxpayers who are married filing jointly and filed an injured spouse claim with their 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if they haven't filed the 2019 tax return), half of the total payment will be sent to each spouse. Only the payment of the spouse who owes past-due child support should be offset.

The IRS is aware that a portion of the payment sent to a spouse who filed an injured spouse claim with his or her 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if no 2019 tax return has been filed) may have been offset by the injured spouse's past-due child support. The IRS is working with the Bureau of Fiscal Service and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child Support Enforcement, to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. If you filed an injured spouse claim with your return and are impacted by this issue, you do not need to take any action. The injured spouse will receive their unpaid half of the total payment when the issue is resolved. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/why-the-economic-impact-payment-amount-could-be-different-than-anticipa...

You received yours today? Part of your stimulus ? 

Stimulus check? 

I finally got thru to a live IRS rep yesterday after being on hold for 1 hour 1 min 25 sec.  He sounded like he was still in bed and I was bothering him by requesting the status of my Injured Spouse and tax return.  He wanted to make it clear to me that they have been out of work for the past 2 months in which I already knew that. He informed be that before COVID-19 my IS form has been sent to an individual queue to process however that individual has not returned back to work as of yet.  So I asked how do I get it moved to like a general department queue. He explained that eventually that may happen but for right now I just need to be patient and wait for that person to return to work. He could not provide a time frame on when IS formed will be completed and to keep checking wheres my refund for an updated status.  So it could be another 8 weeks  before I receive a Stimulus payment and my tax refund...  This is so unfair....

I got my stimulus check auto deposited into my account. It should have been auto deposited on April 15th

@20207 still haven't received mine. Did you call into IRS or did  you complete the injured spouse form with your taxes?

@20207 did u get it today? I keep calling the irs and getting different answers. Last answer I got was I have to file it on my 2020 taxes to get it back and it was supposed to be deposited april 15th 

Thanks for sharing! We were suppose to on 4/30 - so this gives us at least a baseline to look for. 

Had you called before the irs open an asked where it was? Did it go to child support?

@20207 , did you already have your return process completed and refund and 8379 approved? Mine still shows the return is being processed, so not sure if I should expect any stimulus until processing of the return is completed. 

@olechka79 

My Where's my refund is still showing the message "We have received your tax return and it is being processed." And my return was processed and I received my refund March 11. So don't count on the WMR app. I still haven't received my half of the stimulus but they only put my husband's half onto his child support case. I don't know how this is going to pan out but hopefully they figure something out soon. I am in dire need of my half of the stimulus. Ugh I hate this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies