turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

If you filed an injured spouse form with your 2019 taxes, you do not have to do anything else. The IRS is aware of the error, and they are going to fix it. When is the only real issue, as not all departments in the IRS have reopened. According to what I was told, as soon as the IRS fully reopens, they’ll send a return notice to the child support department pulling the injured spouse money back to the IRS and then it will be reissued. If you did NOT file an injured spouse form in 2019 tax filings, do so now. That will be required to get the return process started. Without an injured spouse form on file, all monies will be applied to the offset in full. 

With your tax record, I hit the second column box on the right for 2019. Now the first few lines look like an IRS tax return. Scroll down until you see the amount of your refund. It should have two separate amounts that when added together total your refund. Now, to the left of those amounts it should have a date. The date is when the monies would be paid to the person. If it states “non-IRS debt” that is the offset (child support/student loans/etc). If both dates have non-IRS debt, they’ve taken your return too. If it just says issued, then the monies should be issued to the person on that date. If you did not receive the monies on that date, then there is a chance it was taken for an offset even with the injured spouse form filed. I hope this makes sense. If not, let me know, and I will try to show you an example.

No we was suppose to get 3900 on our stimulus we recieved a letter saying they was taking $1950 for my half for child support but havent sent my husband his half so we can Bill's ! Where is that money when is it coming How is it coming on a card in a check????? That is my question I know there taking half I get that no problem dont care, **bleep** I'm grateful just wanna know where the other half is??

Everytime i think about this situation it makes angry!!!!! i understand that we are eventually going to get our money...but heres what i dont understand "the injured spouse will receive their unpaid HALF of the total payment when the issue is resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."  not only are they going to take my husbands $1200 but i have 4 kids so they are going to take $1000 from 2 kids and give to a kid that i didnt birth???? we didnt know he existed til he was 13!!!! if thats the case then the irs can keep the money they are giving for my kids. just give me my $1200!!!!! no way my kids should suffer because the irs f'd up!!! dont offer something to them and take it away.  i try to do the right thing and file with my husband every year. i do the injured spouse so i can at least get my money back. next year im doing it my way! head of house hold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to see how I can get the stimulus check back from child support. My husband owes back child support so they took my 1200.00  to apply to the his back support. I just need help to receive my money.

If you filled an injured spouse form you will recieve your part back

@Gigibabies18 wrote:

I'm trying to see how I can get the stimulus check back from child support. My husband owes back child support so they took my 1200.00  to apply to the his back support. I just need help to receive my money.

Go to this IRS website for injured spouse information - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

A31. No, with one exception. The Payment may have been offset only by past-due child support. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send you a notice if an offset occurs.

If you are married filing jointly and you filed an injured spouse claim with your 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if you haven’t filed your 2019 tax return), half of the total Payment will be sent to each spouse and your spouse’s Payment will be offset only for past-due child support. There is no need to file another injured spouse claim for the Payment.

The IRS is aware that in some instances a portion of the payment sent to a spouse who filed an injured spouse claim with his or her 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if no 2019 tax return has been filed) has been offset by the non-injured spouse’s past-due child support. The IRS is working with the Bureau of Fiscal Service and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child Support Enforcement, to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. If you filed an injured spouse claim with your return and are impacted by this issue, you do not need to take any action. The injured spouse will receive their unpaid half of the total payment when the issue is resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Just wondering it will take about 14 weeks like my regular refund or will be sooner, will a notice be sent of its arrival?

I'm also wondering if I will receive my stimulus at the same time as refund?

My husband owes back child support we filed jointly will I get a stimulas check

jazzyjai39
Returning Member

Hi there,

What if you were unaware of the Injured Spouse Form until after you filed your 2019 Tax Return? I sent the form to the IRS for processing after we were advised that my husband's and my stimulus check went to his past obligation of child support. Will I still receive my offset portion? Many thanks for your assistance! This was totally unexpected and unfair.

If you filed 8379 IS form 

jazzyjai39
Returning Member

Hi there,

I submitted/filed it separately from our 2019 tax return filing due to being unaware of such form. Will I receive my $1200?

Yes you will..we are all waiting on ours but you will

How did you submit separately 

jazzyjai39
Returning Member

Our tax lady advised that I mail the form to the IRS. I sent it with signature confirmation to them. I had no idea there was such form. Otherwise, I would have filed it with our 2019 Tax Return in February/2020.  Of course, this Stimulus stuff didn't come out until March/2020...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies