turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Drie
Level 4

Injured spouse and stimulus payment

Well at least we all know what to do file another form. At least there is hope we will receive our hard earned money. I am calling in the morning

@Ycasarrubias11  I called and talked to the treasury department and she said to file but they aren’t accepting any mail and also in this thread and online in a couple places it states if you already filed in 2019 or 2019 then you don’t have to again but then they are still taking people’s entire check or got approved for the injured spouse for 2019 so I am certain the irs is run by monkeys! 

@mzvalerie  The messed up part also is they aren’t accepting phone calls or mail because they aren’t allowed to work in the office And they can’t bring personal files home with them which is why they can’t answer phone calls. So if you didn’t file injured spouse electronically then it’s probably sitting on someone’s desk collecting dust and then once the irs opens back up there is going to be millions of people contacting them regarding this so we will be lucky to get our refunds back to us with next years tax refund. I am so sick of this whole entire situation! It’s almost like they are saying my kids are less important then his kids with the ex. Since they took their stimulus money as well. 😡

Actually we don't know if we need to file another form. Yes the letter says file a form but 99 percent of us have already filed a form. It doesn't specify to file a 2nd one. If anyone gets clarification on this please let us know. 

Drie
Level 4

Yup that is how I feel they don’t care about the present children

I called the 1800 number for offsets. I never received a notice. It stated 2 offsets were taken. One for federal taxes and one for stimulus check.

I am going through the same thing. My husband has been dedicated to paying child support for ages and all of our yearly tax refunds get garnished with the exception of when I file injured spouse form 8379 which takes months to process before I see a dime. I filed that form for the 2019 tax year and yet we still got two letters in the mail, one to just my husband and one to both of us with two different account numbers informing us that the stimulus was taken for the offset of child support for children who are adults and won't see a dime of it while we have three small children to support. I could see if they took just his but for an office so interested in "supporting" children they sure make it hard for me to support mine. They are bill collectors and nothing more. They don't take any consideration of how this affects us. We are mothers too so what about us? Providing for current dependent children should always take precedence over child support owed in my opinion. We need laws to protect us women going through this. Maybe we should start a petition!

I'm in the same boat :( Each letter has a different account number and says they applied $1950 on each. This leads me to believe they took our entire stimulus for us and our three children even though I filed injured spouse form 8379 when I did my taxes in February. 

Drie
Level 4

@TMarie918 You said everything I been saying forever. My husband works and pay taxes like everyone else. He has a balance due to the negligent people his kids were placed with by theirs mother. Only one of those family members actually cared for the kids being and then she passed. Since then it has been mayhem. What he knows now he didn’t know then. But, I will say this I want my $1200 and my son $500.00 it shouldn’t take long as quick as they took it I want it back

B792D292-6A06-4917-AA6A-FEF2A5D5ECF6.png

I feel your pain! I’m going through the same thing. Have not filed for 2019 yet, but filed the injured spouse form for 2018, but yet they sent my portion to his child support debt anyway! I’m so frustrated! And if they send more stimulus money I’ll be in the same boat with having to jump through more hoops. Each year that I have filed the Injured spouse form they have conveniently “overlooked” it. I didn’t receive my refund until July for the 2018 tax year and for 2017 it was August. And of course there’s no one available at the IRS to talk to. Does anyone have any guidance on this?!?! I need my money! 

I found the article from Forbes and wanted to share it. We are suppose to get our letters from the irs today that will be fun. What kills me is this they are stealing money from the people who don't owe the debt. Take responsible parties money or their portion of it no issues but not from the kids or those who don't owe. And if everywhere you look stares that if you already filled the injured spouse with your taxes you are good. The only reason stimulus even got sent out was a **bleep** pandemic and the government thought we were all and I mean all in need of it. We are willing to excuse those who owe ton in student loans, back taxes and God knows what else but the did for child support arrears like they are all monsters not paying. Shame on the government from stealing for innocent people and these kids who are innocent in this why is one kid more important that any othera

Yes you are right. and you know what I figured out. The IRS is a fraud too not just child support. IRS 'holds' monies not to pay out for a long time before they pay it out tho either party the injured spouse or the ex who needs to get paid for arrears. BOTH are not getting the money and wait times are often 6 months. What happens in this 6 months of lots of monies withheld? Interest accrues for the IRS. I am sure. They get interest on our money. every month for lots of people. Might not seem very much but if it is a very large amount it can accumulate for the agency. Maybe they use this money to loan out. That can make money too. But there is a reason all this is soo slow and withheld for so long. Overloaded ? they should not be. They should have enough people working and taking care of this.

I already filed for a injured spouse relief form and I got a letter stated they were taking my part of the stimulus check. Which I read that it was suppose to be offset to the person that actually owed back child support and I can’t talk to anyone. What do I do?

I'm with you. Im not sure if your spouse goes through Los Angeles agency which is the one my husband has to pay through but either way we should start a petition since we can't sue them, so they can fix the process and stop stealing from the non responsible spouse. I'm in

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies