Import prior year returns

I didn't know I could import my prior year returns into TT until I had already started my return.  When I tried to import, TT said it couldn't since I already started my return.  It would be nice to have my prior returns in my TT history comparison. I just filed 2016 using TT online.  Is there a way I can add my prior years TT from the desktop version to my online TT?

Import prior year returns

Import prior year returns

I have similar issuing using desktop version. Already started current year, but need to import data / info from prior year without having to start all over again.

Import prior year returns

Sorry but the software does not work that way. You can only transfer the previous year into the new tax return at the very beginning. Once you start entering data it is too late to transfer unless you start over.

Import prior year returns

And to start over in the Desktop program would mean to start a new return to transfer into.  Go up to File-New.  You will need to have the .tax2017 file on your computer to transfer from.  Otherwise you will have to manually enter any prior year info, carryovers, depreciation etc.

Import prior year returns

Sorry, but there is no way you just used the Online program to file a 2016 return, since only the 2018 program is available in TurboTax Online.

Import prior year returns

Stinkerbellkity wrote:

The original post in this thread could actually be a few years old.   A lot of these threads with that apparent early June posting date or late May posting date were moved to this new forum from the old AnswerXChange, and unfortunately and confusingly, all were given a date as of the transfer date even though many are 1,2,3 years old.

Import prior year returns

how to import prior years turbo tax return after starting current year's  return

Import prior year returns

If you had read the prior posts above   YOU CAN NOT TRANSFER 2017 after you have started 2018.  You will have to clear and start over if you want to transfer.  Or in the Desktop program you can start a new return, go to FILE - NEW.  You can only transfer at the very beginning before you start.

In the online version you may be able to perform a transfer if you clear the return.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

Import prior year returns

FYI ... the very first point of business when you log into the online version is the option to transfer the prior year returns from where ever you have them saved.  If you missed the very first screen instructions you have to clear and start over   OR   just input any pertinent info as needed.  Always keep a PDF and .taxfile of the filed return so you always have access to the info when required.