turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ericruiz

Im wondering if I can claim my brother who's in prison that I support financially?

He's been in prison, and this is the first year I've thought about claiming his expenses that I cover for food, clothing, etc.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Im wondering if I can claim my brother who's in prison that I support financially?

The state/county government is providing over one-half of his support so you cannot claim him as a dependent.

Waragon77

Even though we purchase clothes, shoes, personal hygiene and food all year long? I spent thousands alone last year for food and personal hygiene alone on my brother. 

Waragon77

This is a really good question I was just searching this online. Some say yes and some say no. I literally purchase my brother everything like if he was living with me. Clothes, shoes, food and personal hygiene. We should be able to claim them since we are also supporting them. But Owell! 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

This is good Turbo Tax post, authored by awesome champ xmasbaby0.  This supports the answer given by DoninGA in this thread. Hopefully, your brother feels grateful for what you have done for him.

@Waragon77

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies