turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Im getting garnish already 25%of my wages. Can they also try and garnish my federal or state for payment as well. FYI the more wages I make the more they get. What should I expect. Help please

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Im getting garnish already 25%of my wages. Can they also try and garnish my federal or state for payment as well. FYI the more wages I make the more they get. What should I expect. Help please

You do not say why your wages are being garnished.  Are they being  garnished for tax debts or for something else?  TurboTax has no way to know about your debts--tax or otherwise--so you will need to check to see if there is an offset order with the IRS to take your federal refund.

To see back taxes owed 

https://www.irs.gov/uac/view-your-tax-account

NOTE: You can contact the IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107 to ask if they have an offset for you on file. TurboTax would not have that information.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-payments/who-can-garnish-an-income-tax-refund/L7cPPzDyc

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Im being garnish for a auto loan.

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Above, xmasbaby0 provides a link for Who Can Garnish an Income Tax Refund?, which provides some important information that seems relevant to you, based on your response:  "Federal law allows only state and federal government agencies (not individual or private creditors) to take your refund as payment toward a debt. However, once you deposit the refund into your bank account, these rules no longer apply. Depending on the laws of your state, private creditors may have access to those funds."

To put another way, private creditors can't take your refund, but they may be able to get access to funds in your bank account, depending on state law. 

If your state allows access to your bank account by private creditors, you might consider receiving your refund via check, as opposed to direct deposit, so that you can control what happens to your refund money.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies