turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TMT123

If you forgot to sign your tax return and the IRS mails it back. can I file it online by efile, or do I have to mail it back to the IRS

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

If you forgot to sign your tax return and the IRS mails it back. can I file it online by efile, or do I have to mail it back to the IRS

If you submit your return by paper and E-File, you will have a big mess at the IRS processing center.

@TMT123 

I assume the notice is recent.

When did you mail it?

Just curious.

@TMT123 

@fanfare - but if the original was returned as it was unsigned, it is a reject.  why can't it now be  e-filed? 

I agree that you should not submit a paper return and efile, but technically there is no paper return in this case because it was rejected. 

Yes ... since the mailed in return was technically rejected for lack of signature you can efile it now if you wish.  Log in, scroll down and click on ADD A STATE to open the tax file then switch to efile in the FILE tab. 

If a taxpayer has failed to sign a tax return, the IRS will send the taxpayer a notice that the return was not signed. The notice may have a place for the taxpayer to sign, in lieu of signing the tax return. The return will not be processed until after the notice or the return has been signed and returned. use a tracking method so you know the IRS got it but it may take a while for the IRS to process it. 

I don't believe this 1040 is REJECTED.

it is HELD - awaiting taxpayer response.

If this is true, then e-File means you submitted two tax returns.

Anyway, I don't work for the IRS and I don't know the exact treatment.

Use your own judgement.

@TMT123 

Usually the IRS mails back the entire tax return for the signature ... if one never sends the signed copy back the return is considered never filed ... this is the old fashioned way of rejecting the return before electronic media  came in fashion.   So you can efile the return at this time as the return is being "held" at the door and has not been allowed into the system yet  ... it should go thru just fine however if it does gets rejected due to the "hold"  you will have no choice but to mail the form back signed as required/requested.  

Usually there's a reason for US Mail and that reason is e-File is not available or REJECTED.

(the Taxpayer Advocate points out that some taxpayers still prefer paper filing.  My brother, for example.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies