Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If we do not owe federal taxes on stimulus payments, why do we have to include them in our filing? When I add the payment amount in, it says I owe more taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

If we do not owe federal taxes on stimulus payments, why do we have to include them in our filing? When I add the payment amount in, it says I owe more taxes?

Yes, the stimulus payments are not taxable income. But to calculate the correct Recovery Rebate Credit amount you have to enter the stimulus payments received into TurboTax

Before you entered the stimulus payments received the refund/ amount due included the amount of Recovery Rebate Credits as if you didn't receive any stimulus payments. Once you entered the stimulus payments it took the Recovery Rebate Credit off and showed the correct amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am not getting a refund, I owe for 2020. But when I entered the stimulus check amounts per turbotax instructions, my "owe amount" went from $800 to over $2000. Can I just leave the stimulus part blank?

@klmhrm2019 wrote:

I am not getting a refund, I owe for 2020. But when I entered the stimulus check amounts per turbotax instructions, my "owe amount" went from $800 to over $2000. Can I just leave the stimulus part blank?

As stated in the answer provided, the program entered the maximum credit you were eligible to receive if you did not receive any stimulus payments.  When you entered the amount that you actually received the credit Must be reduced to reflect your received payment.  What you owe is the $2000+ in taxes.

If you leave it blank it will give you the Stimulus payment again on your tax return.

Yes you can see your refund or tax due change when you enter the Stimulus payments.  Your 2020 return starts out by assuming you didn't get any Stimulus payments so it gives you credit for the full amount.  Then near the end you enter how much you actually got so it only gives you the difference if any.  You don't get it twice.

Check 1040 line 30 for the Recovery rebate credit.  It either adds to your refund or reduced a tax due.  Before filing,  You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies