turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my spouse received all of the stimulus checks but I didn't, I did not file taxes in 2019, I should get the recovery rebate credit but am not given the option, why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If my spouse received all of the stimulus checks but I didn't, I did not file taxes in 2019, I should get the recovery rebate credit but am not given the option, why?

Were you married in 2019?  Why didn't you file a Joint return?  Did your spouse file Married filing Separate or Joint or ?  Are you filing Joint for 2020?  How much Stimulus payments did they get?  Did they claim any dependents for 2019 or 2020?

We didn’t file jointly in 2019, they did not file at all. They were claimed as a dependent in 2019, but became an adult and wasn’t claimed for the second or first stimulus. 

We got married in 2020 before the second stimulus. 

Then yes you should be able to get both the stimulus amounts on your Joint 2020 return.  When you get to the Stimulus screens say No you didn't get the amounts listed.  Then 2 boxes will open up. Enter the amounts your spouse got.  And you should qualify for your missing 1200+600 = 1800 on 1040 line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  Even if the parents got it for you.  You can get your own now.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies