turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gibogiboo

If my last filed return in 2007 was rejected they wanted more information on my dependent.Can I still fix that return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If my last filed return in 2007 was rejected they wanted more information on my dependent.Can I still fix that return?

2007?   Is that a typo?   Do you really mean 2017?     No you cannot do anything to get a better refund for a 2007 tax return.   

If you mean 2017 you can still receive a 2017 refund if you deal with it by April 15, 2021.  After that it is too late.  It sounds like you were supposed to provide information and did not do it.   You would have to call the IRS and see what they want from you to process that old tax return.

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. If your return was rejected, it means it was never filed with the IRS.

You would not be able to fix a 2007 return in TurboTax unless you used the CD\Desktop and still have the program on your computer. You can only buy the 2017-2020 versions of TurboTax from us.

E-filing is long closed for 2007 so you would have to file by mail.

In most cases, an original return claiming a refund must be filed within three years of its due date for the IRS to issue a refund, so if you are due a refund for 2077 you will not get it.

If you owe, the IRS will charge penalty and interest which will continue to pile up until you file. You can request first time penalty abatement.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies