turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I use Turbo Tax Online will I be charged again when I prepare and file my Mothers Return, and is there also an extra charge for e-filing my state tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I use Turbo Tax Online will I be charged again when I prepare and file my Mothers Return, and is there also an extra charge for e-filing my state tax return?

Each TT online account is good for only ONE Federal income tax return and related state returns.  TT charges extra for using the state return but I believe the charge for the state return includes the efiling charge for that return.

Persons needing to file multiple Federal returns are usually better served by the CD/Download versions which allow as many Federal returns as you need, and versions Deluxe and higher include one free state download for preparing the state return, although there is a fee for efiling those state returns.  Of course, you could print and mail the state returns and avoid the efiling fee.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Each TT online account is good for only ONE Federal income tax return and related state returns.  TT charges extra for using the state return but I believe the charge for the state return includes the efiling charge for that return.

Persons needing to file multiple Federal returns are usually better served by the CD/Download versions which allow as many Federal returns as you need, and versions Deluxe and higher include one free state download for preparing the state return, although there is a fee for efiling those state returns.  Of course, you could print and mail the state returns and avoid the efiling fee.

Chipster007
Returning Member

The information on this topic by Turbo is deceptive as they do a money grab from customers ($24.99 with $25 the maximum price allowed by law) to e-file while the service if free to them.  If you are a MAC or Windows 7 User, you can NOT use the download or discs for the 2020 tax year - you have to use the On-Line Version.  For some strange reason, the On-Line Version only allows for one complimentary E-Filing while the Download or Disc product for Windows 10 allows for a total of five complimentary E-Filings.  

I am sorry to say that with the reality of COVID-19 existing far into 2021 and the strong possibility that the IRS will NOT accept paper filings in 2021, this is nothing short of a $25 per tax return money grab for Turbo Tax for a free Federal service to electronically file the 1040s.  I for one will be looking for a tax new software to use for the 2020 tax filings.  Same on TurboTax / Intuit for being profiteers during COVID!

There are 10 options thru the IRS FREE FILE system ... for 2019 if your AGI was $69K or less you could file the fed & state for free ... this option opens usually mid January and stays open until 10/15 every year.  

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

And system requirements change almost every year especially with a MAC and their planned obsolescence program ... WIN 7 was around for years longer than originally planned ... for the 2020 program you will need 10.14 or better for MAC and Win 10  for Windows ... sorry but the OS are set by the manufacture not TT.

If you use the Online program there are separate fees for the fed & state programs  and each person needs their own account so every return is charged for both. 

At least with the downloaded version you only pay one fee for both programs and can complete as many returns as you like and efile up to 5 federal per license  …. however there is the extra fee for the state ...  the extra fee to efile the state return (which is $19.99 until March when it increases to $24.99) has always been the way it is when using the downloaded version  however  you can print & mail the state returns for free instead (some states let you efile on their web site for free).   

Here are the system requirements to install Turbo Tax for Windows…..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Here are the system requirements to install Turbo Tax for MAC…..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Online version system requirements

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/turbotax-online-system-requirements/00/25...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies