turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I move before I receive my tax return by mail, will it be forwarded to my new address?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarolynB

If I move before I receive my tax return by mail, will it be forwarded to my new address?

No, the IRS won't forward a refund check.  Instead it will be returned to the IRS.   If you don't think you will receive it in time, you could try to contact the IRS and state tax authority to see if they can help you before your refund is processed.

Also, you can submit a Form 8822 to change your address with the IRS. They may not receive it until the refund is processed, but the new address will on file with them. Go to this link for that form https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

IRS Telephone Assistance for Individuals:
Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040  Expect long wait times.

Alternatively, this link has the local IRS offices.  After going to the link, you can scroll down the page then click on the map for your location.  ttps://www.irs.gov/help-resources/contact-your-local-irs-office

View solution in original post

4 Replies
CarolynB

No, the IRS won't forward a refund check.  Instead it will be returned to the IRS.   If you don't think you will receive it in time, you could try to contact the IRS and state tax authority to see if they can help you before your refund is processed.

Also, you can submit a Form 8822 to change your address with the IRS. They may not receive it until the refund is processed, but the new address will on file with them. Go to this link for that form https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

IRS Telephone Assistance for Individuals:
Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040  Expect long wait times.

Alternatively, this link has the local IRS offices.  After going to the link, you can scroll down the page then click on the map for your location.  ttps://www.irs.gov/help-resources/contact-your-local-irs-office

Layite

[PII removed]

my new address 

Will i get my third one at my new address 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Not all post offices forward government checks so you would want to notify the IRS as well. Please visit the IRS Help article below for information on how to notify the IRS of an address change.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc157

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies