Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I have $10K in short-term gains, can I sell a security with a $10K long-term loss at use that to offset the short-term gain?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I have $10K in short-term gains, can I sell a security with a $10K long-term loss at use that to offset the short-term gain?

the short answer is yes.  you can offset net short gains with net long term loses. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

See this TurboTax Tax-Tip - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/capital-gains-and-losses/L7GF1ouP8

Losses on your investments are first used to offset capital gains of the same type. So short-term losses are first deducted against short-term gains, and long-term losses are deducted against long-term gains. Net losses of either type can then be deducted against the other kind of gain.

Anonymous
Not applicable

the short answer is yes.  you can offset net short gains with net long term loses. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies