Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit because I didn’t get the second stimulus, but the IRS mailed it later, how do I pay back the extra $600?

My direct deposit information changed before the second stimulus went out. I thought the IRS wasn’t reissuing payments so I claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit. I checked again this week and the IRS is mailing a check. I don’t want to double-dip, but I already filed my return. How do I pay back the $600? Do I cancel or void the check?  What should I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit because I didn’t get the second stimulus, but the IRS mailed it later, how do I pay back the extra $600?

The IRS does not start processing tax returns until at least February 12, so we don’t know yet how they will be handling the situation, although it is expected to be fairly common.  There are at least three possibilities I can think of.

1. The IRS will reject your tax return, you will be able to remove the payment before you re-transmit it.

2. The IRS will remove the payment from your refund automatically. The law gives them the authority to treat this situation as a mathematical mistake, meaning they can fix it on their own without sending you a letter or requiring you to amend. We don’t know yet if they will actually do this, and if they do, I expect it will delay your refund payment because your tax return will have to be kicked out of the normal automatic system and handled by a person.

3. The IRS could pay the full amount of your claimed refund and then send you a bill later for the excess payment. If you do happen to get the full payment, don’t spend it all, and set aside the excess payment because the IRS will probably ask for it back.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

TurboTax has established a procedure for taxpayers in your situation.  Please see the TurboTax Help article I've already claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit. How can I review and update my 2020 tax return? for guidance.

Does that apply to desktop users as well or only online users?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies