turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If a qualifying widower is the same as filing as married filing jointly why are the income limits that dictate eligibility for the stimulus package not the same?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If a qualifying widower is the same as filing as married filing jointly why are the income limits that dictate eligibility for the stimulus package not the same?

A Qualifying Widow(er) has the same Standard Deduction as Married Filing Jointly.

See this IRS website for stimulus payment information - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

Thanks for the question.

I'm still wondering if Qualifying Widow(er) will get $2,400 or $1,200. It's never mentioned.

My Assumption only - Since the payment is per person I assume it would only be $1,200 for a Qualifying Widow(er) plus the $500 for each child dependent under 17.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies