Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I was doing self employment braiding hair last year in addiyion to my other 2 part time jobs so i'm trying to find out how do i add that as income .

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I was doing self employment braiding hair last year in addiyion to my other 2 part time jobs so i'm trying to find out how do i add that as income .

TurboTax will ask questions about your self-employment income during the tax interview. You'll be able to enter the income you made from braiding hair, and we'll help you deduct any expenses related to this work.

To get started entering your self-employment income:

• Continue working on your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, type self-employment.
  • In the results box, highlight self-employment income, then click GO.
  • You'll land on Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? Click Yes
  • You'll be prompted to Tell us the type of self-employment work you do. Enter a work description (for example, hair braiding) and click Continue.  
  • Let's get income for Your Work. Select the option that applies to you. (Click the screenshot below for reference.) For example, you'll check the second option, Additional income, if your hair-braiding clients paid you with cash and checks. If you need help deciding which option to choose, click the Learn more link. After you select an option, click Continue
  • TurboTax will continue to ask questions about your self-employment income and expenses. Answer all of the questions in the section to complete your self-employment information. If you need to upgrade to another TurboTax product, you'll be prompted to do so. 

Please note: If you are using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function and the "Jump to" link (instead of "Tax Tools") to search for the topic.

The FAQ below provides more information about being self-employed.

Am I considered self-employed?
 https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4771022

[Edited 04.10.2018 I 01:03Pm PDT]
VictorW9
Expert Alumni

The braiding is considered being engaged as self-employed. So, you will therefore need TurboTax self-employed version. If you received W-2s from your part-time jobs, then you can also enter those into TurboTax as W-2 wages. However, if your part-time sent you a 1099 Misc., then you will have to enter the income as self-employed in schedule C along with your braiding business. Be sure to enter them as separate businesses assuming they are.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies