Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcmurrey01
Returning Member

I was claimed as a dependent on another tax return and it was supposed to be 2 separate claims how can I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was claimed as a dependent on another tax return and it was supposed to be 2 separate claims how can I fix this?

clarify what you mean by two separate claims?   you can be claimed only on one taxpayer's return for any tax year. this can be your own return but in this case, you're the taxpayer, not a dependent.     who takes you depends on the rules for qualifying child or if that fails qualifying relative.   there one other provision. no one can claim you as a dependent if on your own return you properly claim someone else as a dependent.  

the rules:

you can be claimed as a qualifying child if all these tests are met

• you have the same principal abode as the other party for more than ½ the tax year.  Temporary absences like for school are ignored
  • If not a full-time student, under 19 at the end of the tax year.  If a full-time student under 24 at the end of the tax year.  
  • you haven't provided over ½ your own support
  • you didn't file a joint return unless there was no tax liability but merely filing joint to facilitate refund of taxes withheld or estimates paid

if not, then you can be claimed as a qualifying relative if all these tests are met

• your gross income for 2019 less than $4,200
  • the other party provided over ½ your support
  • you aren't a qualifying child of another taxpayer
  • you’re related or if not you lived with the other party for the entire year

mcmurrey01
Returning Member

Two separate claims as in he files his own and I file for myself. Not him claim me. I shouldn't be a dependent on another person's tax return 

If you are being ejected because your SS# was already used and you cannot be claimed as a dependent then YOU will need to MAIL in your return this year no exceptions.

Then the other person who should not have claimed you needs to mail in an AMENDED return to remove you  ... this doesn't need to be done before you mail in your return.  

mcmurrey01
Returning Member

Still unresolved this is no good for me 

@mcmurrey01 wrote:

Still unresolved this is no good for me 

You were given the answer.  You have to print and mail your own tax return

It cannot be e-filed because the IRS has already received a tax return with your name and Social Security number as a dependent.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies