turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was charged $120 at check out for turbo tax self-employed but I am not self-employed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I was charged $120 at check out for turbo tax self-employed but I am not self-employed

You are using the Self-Employed edition so you were charged for that edition.

Note - If you have entered a Form 1099-MISC with income shown in box 7 of the form or a Form 1099-NEC with income in box 1, this would indicate to the program that you are self-employed, thereby requiring the use of the Self-Employed edition to report the income and expenses for your self-employment.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2020 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

Did you get a 1099NEC for something?  How did you upgrade to the Self Employed version?  If you haven't paid yet you can try to go back to a lower version you can clear and start over  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

Unfortunately, if you already paid then you cannot downgrade to a less expensive version of the software.  The time to downgrade is before you pay or file your tax return.    You can use the self-employed software for any kind of income so no harm was done to your actual tax return---you just paid more than you needed to pay for the software by not changing in time to a lower version.  Sorry.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies