turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want free filing

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

I want free filing

TurboTax Free Edition is an online-only product that supports simple tax returns that can be filed on Form 1040 without any attached schedules.

Simple tax situations covered in TurboTax Free Edition:

• W-2 income
    • Unemployment income
    • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
    • Claiming the standard deduction
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
    • Child tax credits

Situations not covered in TurboTax Free Edition include:

• Itemized deductions
  • Business or 1099-MISC income
  • Stock sales
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions, and income reported on schedules 1–3, such as the Student Loan Interest Deduction
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
McKayla_Rose
Returning Member

I want free filing

There's the "Free" version that TurboTax offers (that will almost certainly force an upsell on you just to file)

and then the ACTUAL Free version that required by law/IRS to be offered, but you need to go to 

https://freefile.intuit.com

to use it, because it's hidden or just plain isn't offered on Intuit's main page.

Hope this helps!

- McKayla "Micky" Rose

vtmikesan

I want free filing

it doesn't allow you to file for free and forces the upsale if your claim is filed differently than the previous year...example.  I moved into my rental property prior to January 2020 but since I rented my property out for part of 2019 you're automatically forced into the upsale because you're assuming I must file with the extra worksheets and forms...when it is apparent that the forms are deemed unnecessary while proceeding you then don't allow the free edition to be used...and this year this is particularly heinous behavior on your part because I filed with your guarantee of receiving my refund within 3 weeks...well it's now 3 months with no refund or any information as to when I'll receive that refund from you and you're going to deduct the filing fee from my bank account...even though the "agreement" was it would be deducted from my refund.

these are very unethical business practices.  Appalling really.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

I want free filing

We do not guarantee any timeframes as we have no part in the processing of tax returns.   We give you an estimate date of refund based IRS statistics - The IRS issues most refunds from e-filed returns in about 21 days, although some returns take more time to review.      

The IRS issues refunds, not TurboTax. This means that we can't say for sure why you haven’t received your refund if it's been longer than 21 days since you e-filed. You'll have to speak directly to IRS to find out more about the delay.

When to contact the IRS

What makes refunds late?

Why do I have to upgrade from Free Edition?    Properly reporting rental property requires TurboTax Premier if using the Online product.  If you filed with Free Edition (not FREE FILE below), and you had rental properties in 2019, you may need to file an amended 2019 return.  

TurboTax partners with the IRS to offer the FREE FILE product.   If you qualify for FREE FILE, all forms are included - including rental properties and self-employment forms.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies