Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

srg19

I thought state taxes were free when one purchased Deluxe- they were with box purchase in past, but that's not available anymore

It is the middle option, which was what was recommended. Now I have to pay extra $50 for state tax, too?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I thought state taxes were free when one purchased Deluxe- they were with box purchase in past, but that's not available anymore

Are you using the Online version?  Online is completely different than the Desktop CD/Download program.  In Online the State is an extra separate $50 in Deluxe and above.  

For the Desktop versions Deluxe and above, it's a free download of one state preparation PROGRAM, not returns filed. You can prepare unlimited federal and unlimited state returns.  You can print and mail the state for free or each state return (including the first one) is 19.99 until March, then goes to 24.99. 

And if you used the Desktop program in the past you may not like the Online version.  There are several major differences.  You can still buy the Desktop program in the stores or from Turbo Tax.  If you do want to switch back to Desktop we can tell you how to move your online return to it without paying for Online version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's bait and switch. Shame on you! The offer said it included a free state return, but then you charge me $20 to file the state return. Bad business practice.

The offer is for one free state program download included in the purchase price.  Nowhere does it say that the state tax return can be e-filed for free.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that it doesn't SAY that. But the implication of "one free state" return implies it so strongly that learning otherwise is extremely disappointing. They have a term for it. It's called "bait and switch."

What offer did you see, where?  On the CD product page they all say 1 state download, state efile additional 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/ 

and the boxes in the stores or online say Fed+Efile+State.  It doesn't say State efile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are mincing words. "Fed+Efile+State" sounds like you are offering Fed and State with e-file for both. The basic offer is Federal plus one state. You don't charge extra to upload the federal, hence there is no expectation that you will charge for the state e-file. It's bait and switch. You are representing the company, I realize that. But you know I am right.

No I don't represent the company or work for Intuit or Turbo Tax .  I am just another user like you and volunteer here.  I think it's perfectly clear.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies