turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I. Suffered. Identity Theft in 2020

Someone. Used my. Info to. Purchase. A. Home and. Utilities with my. Info in2020
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

If you believe you have been a victim of tax-related identity theft, contact us right away.

You will also want to:

1. Most importantly, follow the IRS procedures for reporting a fraudulent return. 
  2. Monitor your credit reports through TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian for any suspicious activity.
  3. File a police report with your local law enforcement agency.
  4. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at Identitytheft.gov or the FTC Identity Theft Hotline at 1-877-438-4338 or TTY 1-866-653-4261. 

If your Social Security number is compromised and you know or suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, take these additional steps:

• Respond immediately to any IRS notice; call the number provided
  • Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit and print and mail or fax according to the instructions
  • Continue to pay your taxes and file your tax return, even if you must do so by paper

Additional Resources

Related Information:

Source: TurboTax FAQ 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I paid TurboTax a bunch of extra money for identity theft and my social security number an phone number and email address was at risk,  my social security number was used to file unemployment benefits.  And I'm in desperate need of the benefits. But I cannot because of identity theft. Which I paid TurboTax for

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the information below on assistance if you suspect identity theft:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/security/help/what-to-do-if-you-suspect-tax-related-identity-theft...

Please see the information below on obtaining Max for identity theft protection:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/how-can-i-get-the-identity-theft-protection/00/71...

Iris1278

I don’t know what is going on with my taxes I need help

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Would you please clarify your question? What specific help do you need with your taxes?

@Iris1278

toyiagordon34
Returning Member

How can I prove that I'm me so I can start back getting my unemployment I have no income I'm about to loose my house and car and they have not me for snap I have nothing can u please help me thanks toya

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If you suspect you are a victim of identity theft, see the steps to take in this TurboTax Help article:  What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft

Also contact your state unemployment office to let them know and ask about their procedures for reinstating your unemployment benefits.

@toyiagordon34

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies