Re: I started from the IRS Free file site using my...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taxesareapainint

I started from the IRS Free file site using my TurboTax account and I want to switch to premium but the software does not allow this - how do I do this?

3 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

I started from the IRS Free file site using my TurboTax account and I want to switch to premium but the software does not allow this - how do I do this?

You can not upgrade from the IRS Free File software.   If you want to start a return in Premier, you will need to create a new account.    Create a new user ID (keep track if you have multiple accounts) from this link.  

The IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax is geared towards lower-income filers, regardless of tax return complexity, and is only offered through the IRS Free File Alliance (FFA) program. No upgrades are available.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hydride88

VolvoGirl
Level 15

Check out this one.  User OpFor at the end seems like he found a way to upgrade from Free File website and keep his info

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-don-t-qualify-for-free-file-this-year-as-it-...

User OpFor posted this...........

Last year one user posted this.  It works for 2020 too.....

I found this message thread because I was searching for an answer on how to do this.  I finally found it and wanted to post it in case others find it too.

1.  Go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/

2.  Click "help me choose"

3.  Select the options that apply to your situation

4.  Click "start for free" of whatever product you want to use when it gives you the suggestions

After that, it asked how I did my taxes last year.  I selected Turbo Tax, then it had me sign in.  Once I was signed in, it asked if I was sure I wanted to change to a commercial product and not use the free file program.  I selected yes, clicked ok, and I was back into the normal system and out of the free file system.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings