Re: I started from the IRS Free file site using my...

taxesareapainint

I started from the IRS Free file site using my TurboTax account and I want to switch to premium but the software does not allow this - how do I do this?

DawnC

You can not upgrade from the IRS Free File software.   If you want to start a return in Premier, you will need to create a new account.    Create a new user ID (keep track if you have multiple accounts) from this link.  

The IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax is geared towards lower-income filers, regardless of tax return complexity, and is only offered through the IRS Free File Alliance (FFA) program. No upgrades are available.

hydride88

Check out this one.  User OpFor at the end seems like he found a way to upgrade from Free File website and keep his info

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-don-t-qualify-for-free-file-this-year-as-it-...

User OpFor posted this...........

Last year one user posted this.  It works for 2020 too.....

I found this message thread because I was searching for an answer on how to do this.  I finally found it and wanted to post it in case others find it too.

1.  Go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/

2.  Click "help me choose"

3.  Select the options that apply to your situation

4.  Click "start for free" of whatever product you want to use when it gives you the suggestions

After that, it asked how I did my taxes last year.  I selected Turbo Tax, then it had me sign in.  Once I was signed in, it asked if I was sure I wanted to change to a commercial product and not use the free file program.  I selected yes, clicked ok, and I was back into the normal system and out of the free file system.