Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kskelton0505
Returning Member

I recieved a W-2 from a old employer for 2020 with a value only in box 12

My previous employer sent me a W-2 with only codes W and DD in box 12, nothing is recorded in any of the other boxes.  I received my final paycheck from the company in December 2019.  Because the W-2 has no value in box 1 it is preventing me from e-filing.  Do I need to include this W-2 in my taxes for 2020?  The total amount in box 12 is about $625.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

No, it is not common.  Code DD amounts are for informational purposes only — they don't affect the numbers in your tax return.   The code W however may affect things on your tax return.  It reflects company contributions (including employee contributions through a cafeteria plan) to your health savings account (HSA).    

For 2020, your maximum combined contribution to an HSA – that is, the sum of what you, your employer, and anyone else contributed – is $3,550 if you're covered by an individual (self-only) HDHP and $7,100 if you're covered by a family HDHP (maximum contributions increase to $4,550 and $8,100, respectively, if you were at least 55 years of age on December 31, 2020).  There are penalties if you have an excess contribution to your HSA unless the excess amount is withdrawn before the due date of your return, including extensions.  

Find out from the employer if they contributed to your HSA account.   If you contributed the maximum through another employer or were not covered by a HDHP in 2020, you will want to get that corrected and the funds removed before April 15th to avoid the associated penalties.   Or they may just need to issue you a CORRECTED W-2.   In any case, you can't e-file a return with a W-2 without wages.  There is a way to enter the code W amount without the W-2 however, see link below.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

You cannot e-file a W-2 with no box 1 income.

Did the employer send a 2nd W-2 to add information that was missing from the 1st?   If so just add that to the first W-2 and ignore the 2nd. If not you cannot e-file a W-2 with no box 1 income.

If you believe this W2 is in error then contact the employer and ask them to correct it.

Box 12

W is for employer contributions (including amounts the employee elected to contribute using a Section 125 cafeteria plan) to your health savings account (HSA).

DD is for the cost of employer-sponsored health coverage.

I

kskelton0505
Returning Member

I did not receive any paychecks from this company in 2020 and was not expecting a W-2 from them this year.  Is it common for companies to send W-2s with only box 12 filled out?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

No, it is not common.  Code DD amounts are for informational purposes only — they don't affect the numbers in your tax return.   The code W however may affect things on your tax return.  It reflects company contributions (including employee contributions through a cafeteria plan) to your health savings account (HSA).    

For 2020, your maximum combined contribution to an HSA – that is, the sum of what you, your employer, and anyone else contributed – is $3,550 if you're covered by an individual (self-only) HDHP and $7,100 if you're covered by a family HDHP (maximum contributions increase to $4,550 and $8,100, respectively, if you were at least 55 years of age on December 31, 2020).  There are penalties if you have an excess contribution to your HSA unless the excess amount is withdrawn before the due date of your return, including extensions.  

Find out from the employer if they contributed to your HSA account.   If you contributed the maximum through another employer or were not covered by a HDHP in 2020, you will want to get that corrected and the funds removed before April 15th to avoid the associated penalties.   Or they may just need to issue you a CORRECTED W-2.   In any case, you can't e-file a return with a W-2 without wages.  There is a way to enter the code W amount without the W-2 however, see link below.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies