turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received disability payments would that income information be considered unemployment benefits?

I was pulled from work by my doctor and received disability payments would that be classified as unemployment benefits?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

I received disability payments would that income information be considered unemployment benefits?

Disability benefits are not the same as unemployment benefits. You receive disability benefits because you are not able to work; you receive unemployment benefits when work is not available.

Disability pay may or may not be taxable - it depends on how you came by them. The TurboTax article Is disability income taxable?  answers the most common questions on whether this income is taxable. Workmen's compensation, the most common form of "disability pay", is not taxable.

The IRS and most states, however,  treat unemployment benefits  as taxable income.  Why is my unemployment being taxed?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Disability benefits are not the same as unemployment benefits. You receive disability benefits because you are not able to work; you receive unemployment benefits when work is not available.

Disability pay may or may not be taxable - it depends on how you came by them. The TurboTax article Is disability income taxable?  answers the most common questions on whether this income is taxable. Workmen's compensation, the most common form of "disability pay", is not taxable.

The IRS and most states, however,  treat unemployment benefits  as taxable income.  Why is my unemployment being taxed?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies