turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sd26
Returning Member

I received an 1099-MISC with the right income but wrong box

The 1099-MISC states I received $1,000 in "Rents (box 1)", when it should have been in "Other income payments (box 3)". The filing deadline is less than 2 weeks away, so not sure they can fix it before then. What do I do? (It was my first 1099-MISC and didn't realize it was wrong till TurboTax started asking me questions about it)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

What was the income paid to you for? (You need to confirm it wasn't for rent for something.)

Sometimes what the recipient may not think is rent, is "in fact" rent as far as the IRS is concerned.

File Form 4868 if you want more time to get a form corrected and have reasonable expectation of success.

You don’t need to file Form 4868 if you make a payment using the IRS electronic payment options.

You can pay all or part of your estimated income tax due and **indicate that the payment is for an extension** using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, or using a credit or debit card. Your extension is then automatically granted and you will receive a confirmation number for your records.

sd26
Returning Member

Carl, It was for an acting gig. They already confirmed they made an error, but they haven't responded in several days. There is a chance they decide not to correct the form prior to the filing deadline, so I am trying to see if there is any sort of workaround. Should I put it in the correct box (Box 3) and send a letter to the IRS (and can I even do this sort of think on TurboTax)? Or is it better if I declare it was "Rent" so that it's not different from what the IRS has?

sd26
Returning Member

fanfare, assuming they never amend the form, should I file the error (Box 1) or the right one (Box 3)? I will do Form 4868 if they tell me they will amend it but not in time. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies