turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

beulah1

I received a letter from the IRS asking how I calculated Line 8 of the schedule 2 form. I answer questions in Turbo tax. What would correspond to line 8 of this form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I received a letter from the IRS asking how I calculated Line 8 of the schedule 2 form. I answer questions in Turbo tax. What would correspond to line 8 of this form?

Schedule 2 line 8 is the 10% early withdrawal penalty from a IRA or 401K account  if you are under 59 1/2 or don't have an exception.  It's based on 1040 line 4b or 5b which comes from your 1099R.  

dmertz
Level 15

Line 8 of Schedule 2 is for reporting an early-distribution penalty for a distribution from a retirement account (with or without Form 5329) or some other penalty calculated on Form 5329 (with Form 5329 included in your tax return).  As you said, TurboTax automatically populates Schedule 2 line 8 based on your entries of Forms 1099-R or your reporting of excess contributions or excess accumulations.  See the instructions for Form 5329:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5329.pdf

If Form 5329 was included with your tax return, that would show the calculation(s) that resulted in the total that was included on Schedule 2 line 8.  If Form 5329 was not included and Schedule 2 line 8 was nonzero, that implies that your reported Forms 1099-R that that had code 1 in box 7 and did not require Form 5329 to show their sum because there was no other reason to file Form 5329.

Perhaps you did not attach an explanation, which the IRS wants from you when you file that Form.

Explain what you did.

Include dates and amounts.

@beulah1 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies