Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I printed my 1040 off to send in but no signiture page printed so that I can sign my return, why did this happen?

do i need to sign the return if i am sending it thru the mail in order to receive my refund?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB
Expert Alumni

I printed my 1040 off to send in but no signiture page printed so that I can sign my return, why did this happen?

Yes, you need to sign the return. The tax law changes changed how the form 1040 looks like; the forms are now half pages and TurboTax will print page 1 and 2 of 1040 on one page. The signature is on the bottom of "page 1" and therefore in the middle of the printed page.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanaB
Expert Alumni

Yes, you need to sign the return. The tax law changes changed how the form 1040 looks like; the forms are now half pages and TurboTax will print page 1 and 2 of 1040 on one page. The signature is on the bottom of "page 1" and therefore in the middle of the printed page.

mike121

how do i sign my return after it has been e-filed?

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

If you e-filed, you will e-sign your tax returns in TurboTax as part of the process.  When you e-file there is no need for your tax return to be "signed". In the PDF of your TurboTax return, the last page of the federal return is an "electronic postmark" that shows your name, Social Security number, the date and time that you e-filed the return, and the date that the IRS accepted it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
vtax
Level 1

After filing online, how do you PRINT the e-signature page for other entities that need copies of your tax forms? It is not in the .pdf that prints in the account.

If you need to give someone a copy then you sign the copy in ink yourself.

@vtax wrote:

After filing online, how do you PRINT the e-signature page for other entities that need copies of your tax forms? It is not in the .pdf that prints in the account.

As stated in the answer directly above your post, there is no electronic signature page on an e-filed tax return.  There is only a Postmark Report which has the date/time the tax return was transmitted and the date it was Accepted by either the IRS or a State.

how do i sign it now that its done

Are you efiling it or printing and mailing it?  If you efile just go though the  Review and then the FILE tab.  You sign it by entering your 2020 AGI to verify you.  If you want to print and mail your return you will need to sign it in ink at the bottom.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies