turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid for 2019 filing and already received my Federal refund. My state refund was incomplete and not filed. It is now complete do I have to pay again to finish filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I paid for 2019 filing and already received my Federal refund. My state refund was incomplete and not filed. It is now complete do I have to pay again to finish filing?

No.  You only have to pay for the state return once.  If you already paid for it at the time you filed the Federal return, then you won't have to again.

Or do you need to know how to open the return back up after having filed the Federal portion so you can complete the state return?

NOTE:  When you open the return back up, do not make changes on the Federal side since it has already been filed. If you later have to amend the return, it has to start off exactly as it was when it was originally filed.

• Log into your account, and at the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for 2019, look for a link "Add a State."
  • Click on "Add a State."  (NOTE:  That doesn't really add one; that's just to open the return.)
  • Once the return is open, go to the State Taxes tab and go through the state screens to finish the state return.
  • After completing the state return, go through the REVIEW section to be sure everything is in order.
  • Then go to the FILE section and choose to file only the state return.
  • If efiling, be sure to continue on all the way to the final step to click a big orange button "Transmit Return Now."
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies