turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to update my checking account information so that the stimulus payment can be deposited into my account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I need to update my checking account information so that the stimulus payment can be deposited into my account?

Will I get my stimulus as a direct deposit or as a paper check?

Here's how it works:

If you filed a 2018 and/or 2019 return with the IRS, and at least one of those returns had a refund which was direct-deposited, the IRS will deposit your stimulus payment into that account (if it's closed, you'll get a check instead.)

If you filed a 2018 and/or 2019 return and neither one had a refund coming, the IRS will mail you a stimulus check. The same holds true if these returns had a refund which was sent as a check.

In other words, if you requested a direct-deposited refund on at least one return in the past two years – 2018 or 2019 – your stimulus will be direct-deposited into that account (assuming it's still valid), and if not, you'll get a check.

This cannot be changed.

I will like to add my checking account 

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

The IRS is setting up a portal for people to update their bank account information. We will have more information once the government finalizes the details.

In the meantime, you can visit the following links for the most recent updates:

TurboTax Corona Virus Updates or IRS Corona Tax Relief.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Shelb724

What if I gave the IRS my checking account information in order to make payments.  Will they use that to send me my Covid 19 payment?

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Please go to https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments to enter your direct deposit information once the site is available this week.  

What if my bank account that I had received my 2018 tax refund by direct deposit in is STILL AN ACTIVE ACCOUNT, but when I filed my 2019 tax return I had received it by direct deposit through a different bank account that is NO LONGER AN ACTIVE BANK ACCOUNT? 

Then will the IRS direct deposit my stimulas check into my active account that I had my tax refund deposited into from 2018 or will they send me a paper check?

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

I can not be sure, but I would expect that they would use the most current information.

The IRS has a Websites to update information and check your filing status. 

Please read what it says on the right hand side where it says “Filers: Get Your Payment”

Get Your Payment Status

PMMANNI

Yes

Manage cookies