turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tina3130

I need to mail in my 2018 tax return, should I also mail my 2019 returns or efile?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I need to mail in my 2018 tax return, should I also mail my 2019 returns or efile?

The last day to file a new 2019 return was October 15th.  You would need to mail in your 2018 & 2019 return.  Make sure you mail them in separate envelopes & sign the returns.  You might want to mail the returns so you can track them & would know the IRS and State received them.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you did not attempt to e-file 2019 by October 15 then you have no choice----your 2018 and 2019 returns must both be mailed.  Do not combine them----use separate envelopes for each one so that one is not overlooked when the mail is opened.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Too late to efile. Mail returns in separate envelopes. 

The last day to file a new 2019 return was October 15th.  You would need to mail in your 2018 & 2019 return.  Make sure you mail them in separate envelopes & sign the returns.  You might want to mail the returns so you can track them & would know the IRS and State received them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies