turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to file 2015 taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You can still file a 2015 return, but you cannot prepare it in Online TurboTax, which is now for 2018 only.  You have to use the 2015 desktop software (CD/download.)

Also, if you are due a 2015 Federal tax refund, while you can still file the return, the deadline to claim a 2015 Federal refund was April 15, 2019,  unless you originally filed for an extension back in 2015.

You can purchase 2015 desktop software as a download at this page and install it on your computer:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/2015/

Minimum system requirements for Windows version:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901571-minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-windows-software

Minimum system requirements for Mac version:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899173-minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-mac-software

Or did you already start a 2015 return online prior to the 2015 online shutdown, and want to finish that without starting over?  If so, you can download the *.tax2015 data file from your account and finish it in the desktop software.    If you already paid for your product previously, TurboTax Support should furnish you the software.

The 2015 return cannot be efiled.  It will need to be printed, signed, dated, and mailed.  It is recommended to mail by a method that has tracking such as certified return receipt, priority mail, etc.

If you have both Federal and state returns, you need to mail each one separately to its respective tax agency.

If you are due a Federal refund, it takes about 6 weeks for the IRS to process a mailed return.

@daviddmayes 

Oops!   The answer above originally had some references to 2017 software by mistake.  It was pasted from another of my answers, and I didn't get all the years changed in the post.  I noticed it right away and have corrected it with the correct tax years above.   Sorry about any confusion!   Please return to the forum to see the corrected answer with the full info.

A 2015 return requires 2015 desktop software.   See the additional info in the answer above.

Also, if you are due a 2015 Federal tax refund, while you can still file the return, the deadline to claim a 2015 Federal refund was April 15, 2019,  unless you originally filed for an extension back in 2015.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies