turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need my AGI from my 2019 tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your 2019 AGI is on your 2019 1040 form.  Line 8b on Form 1040 and 1040-SR (for tax year 2019).

The IRS requires your 2019 AGI to verify your identity for e-filing. If you're paper-filing your return, you won't need your AGI because those are manually processed.

There are a few places you can get your 2019 AGI:

• If you filed your 2019 taxes with TurboTax, sign in and go down to Your tax returns & documents. Select View adjusted gross income (AGI).
  • If you didn’t file your taxes with TurboTax in 2019, the best place to get last year's AGI is from the 1040 form you filed with the IRS. Look on line 8b. If you filed a 1040NR, it'll be on line 35.
  • If you're having trouble locating your 2019 return, the second-best place to get your AGI is from the IRS. You can order a free transcript of your return at the IRS Get Transcript site or you can purchase a full copy of your 2019 return. Both versions will include your AGI.  The Online transcript is easy to apply for & in about 15 mins. you have your information.

If you didn't file a 2019 federal tax return (or you haven't filed one yet), enter 0 as your AGI.

Married Filing Separately in 2019 but filing jointly in 2020?

Filed jointly in 2019 but are Married Filing Separately in 2020?

You won't find your AGI on your W-2 or 1099 form because those forms don't take into account over a dozen above-the-line deductions that go into calculating your AGI.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Your 2019 AGI is on your 2019 1040 form.  Line 8b on Form 1040 and 1040-SR (for tax year 2019).

The IRS requires your 2019 AGI to verify your identity for e-filing. If you're paper-filing your return, you won't need your AGI because those are manually processed.

There are a few places you can get your 2019 AGI:

• If you filed your 2019 taxes with TurboTax, sign in and go down to Your tax returns & documents. Select View adjusted gross income (AGI).
  • If you didn’t file your taxes with TurboTax in 2019, the best place to get last year's AGI is from the 1040 form you filed with the IRS. Look on line 8b. If you filed a 1040NR, it'll be on line 35.
  • If you're having trouble locating your 2019 return, the second-best place to get your AGI is from the IRS. You can order a free transcript of your return at the IRS Get Transcript site or you can purchase a full copy of your 2019 return. Both versions will include your AGI.  The Online transcript is easy to apply for & in about 15 mins. you have your information.

If you didn't file a 2019 federal tax return (or you haven't filed one yet), enter 0 as your AGI.

Married Filing Separately in 2019 but filing jointly in 2020?

Filed jointly in 2019 but are Married Filing Separately in 2020?

You won't find your AGI on your W-2 or 1099 form because those forms don't take into account over a dozen above-the-line deductions that go into calculating your AGI.

byjoe

My 2020 taxes were rejected efile because of the wrong AGI when I pulled the information from a copy of my 2019 taxes.  2019 was filed with my wife who was deceased in 2019. Any help would be appreciated.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

@byjoe, if your taxes were rejected because of your AGI, please see the FAQ link provided below:

TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN ...

If after checking out the FAQ link above, you are still having issues, there maybe a few reason's why. Ultimately, you might just have to print and mail your return:

What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an e-file reject?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

i filled my taxes with you guys last year 2019 i need my agi from my 2019 taxes how do i download my 2019 taxes

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

If you used the Online version, first, make sure you're using the same TurboTax account (with the same username) as in prior years. Otherwise, the below instructions won't work.

If you're signing in for the first time this year, we may ask you some questions before you get to the Tax Home screen where you can access your prior year returns. 

If you need to find an account, our account recovery tool can help you find your User ID or password.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ's below for additional assistance:

If you used the CD/Download version, you need to have the file ending in .tax2019 or the pdf file saved on your computer or backup. Search your computer for all files ending in .tax. Check in One Drive, Drop Box etc.  it should be in your Documents then in the Turbo Tax folder. Try this.....start the program, then go up to File-Open and see if it finds your file.

If you are unable to locate your files, see the alternative ways to locate your AGI on the IRS website here: Validating Your Electronically Filed Tax Return

To find your AGI, please see the following TurboTax FAQ:

The amount can be located on:

• Form 1040 - Line 38

• Form 1040A - Line 21

• Form 1040EZ - Line 4

@marypeterson1127

sylvsclrk
Returning Member

I did not print out a copy and I don't have my old laptop anymore. Don't you have it?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

TurboTax cannot view your return or furnish you any number amounts from it for security reasons. You can get a transcript of your return from the IRS online that will give you your AGI number by using this link:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Lbranch38

Hello I am trying to get my AGI for 2019 and I can't fine my W-2 form

The AGI is not on your W2.  You need your 2019 AGI to efile 2020. The AGI is on 2019 1040 line 8b. If you filed a Joint return you use the same AGI for each spouse.

How to find the AGI.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

If you didn't file 2019 or filed it later in the year then try entering 0 for the AGI. If that doesn't work you will have to print and mail your return.

Or request a transcript from the IRS

Need AGI for 2019

You need your 2019 AGI to efile 2020. The AGI is on 2019 1040 line 8b. If you filed a Joint return you use the same AGI for each spouse.

How to find the AGI.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

If you didn't file 2019 or filed it later in the year or mailed it, then try entering 0 for the AGI. If that doesn't work you will have to print and mail your return.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Please see @VolvoGirl 's response immediately above (and copied below):

"The 2019 AGI is on 2019 1040 line 8b. If you filed a Joint return you use the same AGI for each spouse.

How to find the AGI.

If you didn't file 2019 or filed it later in the year or mailed it, then try entering 0 for the AGI. If that doesn't work you will have to print and mail your return.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript"

@Ray Fleeman

csds1
Returning Member

cant find my 2019 return even though I filed with turbo tax

@csds1 wrote:

cant find my 2019 return even though I filed with turbo tax

You have to sign onto your 2019 online account using the exact same User ID you used to create the online account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the User ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your 2019 account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

To access your prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies