Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved in with my mom. The lady she rents too has children whom she will claim. As I live with my mom now I also have kids. How will I be able to claim with without it affecting her?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I moved in with my mom. The lady she rents too has children whom she will claim. As I live with my mom now I also have kids. How will I be able to claim with without it affecting her?

@saymarie10 , could you please clarify the  situation -- what I get from your post is that 

(a) your mother has a home;  (b) she rents the house from another woman whom has children;  (c) your mother intends to claim the children of this landlady as her dependent;  (d) you have moved  in with your mother;  (e) you have children of your own ;  (f) can you claim your children  without impacting your mother's  tax situation

Please clarify / correct my understanding and I will come back and close the loop with you 

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

If you are filing your own tax return you just claim your children on your tax return and it has no effect on your mother's return.

Click on this link for more information about Rules for Claiming a Dependent

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies