turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wanderinglight
Returning Member

I moved from my home office to a commercial space. Where can I deduct moving expenses?

I'm self-employed and moved from a home office into a commercial space in April 2020. How do I deduct only 3 months of home office expenses, and where do I deduct the moving expenses? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

I moved from my home office to a commercial space. Where can I deduct moving expenses?

If you moved your office from home to a commercial space in April 2020, you used the home office for all of 2019 and you will be taking the moving expenses on your 2020 return.

If you used the home office for only 3 months of the year, enter just 25% of the expenses (mortgage, taxes, utilities, etc.)

To enter the information on a home office please follow these steps:

1. Click Income and Expenses and then click the Start/Revisit box in the Self-Employment section.
  2. On Your 2019 self-employed work summary screen, click on Edit next to your business. 
  3. On the Here's your [business] info screen, click on the box Add expenses for this work.  
  4. On the Tell us about any expenses screen, scroll down to the Less Common Expenses section and mark the  radio button next to Home Office.  Click Continue at the bottom of the screen. 
  5. On the screen asking if you have a home office, mark Yes and click Continue.
  6. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information about your home office.

When finished you will see the Home office summary

You can include moving expenses under the Office expenses category on the Tell us about any expenses screen.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If you moved your office from home to a commercial space in April 2020, you used the home office for all of 2019 and you will be taking the moving expenses on your 2020 return.

If you used the home office for only 3 months of the year, enter just 25% of the expenses (mortgage, taxes, utilities, etc.)

To enter the information on a home office please follow these steps:

1. Click Income and Expenses and then click the Start/Revisit box in the Self-Employment section.
  2. On Your 2019 self-employed work summary screen, click on Edit next to your business. 
  3. On the Here's your [business] info screen, click on the box Add expenses for this work.  
  4. On the Tell us about any expenses screen, scroll down to the Less Common Expenses section and mark the  radio button next to Home Office.  Click Continue at the bottom of the screen. 
  5. On the screen asking if you have a home office, mark Yes and click Continue.
  6. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information about your home office.

When finished you will see the Home office summary

You can include moving expenses under the Office expenses category on the Tell us about any expenses screen.

Carl
Level 15

in April 2020.

You have nothing to report or deal with concerning this on your 2019 tax return. You'll deal with this when you complete your 2020 return next year.

wanderinglight
Returning Member

Apologies, I meant April 2019.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies